SAORI Sewing Intensive (3-Day Workshop) | Spring 2020
INTENSIVE! Yes these 3 days will be intense. But you will leave with a greater knowledge of sewing and some awesome new clothes!
The schedule for the weekend:
If you are coming in from out of town, plan on arriving at our studio in Peachtree City sometime on Thursday afternoon. This will give you time to either set up your machine (if you are driving and bringing your own machine) or the opportunity to get to know the studio machine you will be using for the weekend.
Friday 2/28 – SAORI Sewing – Part 1:
(11 AM – 6 PM)
- Familiarity with the seams used in SAORI sewing
- Samples of seams created and annotated for future reference
- Understanding SAORI Sewing pattern books
- How to make the most out of the cloth you have, adjust for your body, make the pattern your own
- Sewing your first (and maybe second) SAORI garment:
- First pattern: Place-mat vest (pattern #1 in the Beginners Clothing Design)
- Second pattern (if time): Marguerite Cardigan (pattern #2 in Beginners Clothing Design)
- Narrow cloth (approx 20 cm +/-) and about 2 meters long
- Cloth for the Place-mat vest (pattern #1 in the Beginners Clothing Design). The suggested dimensions are 45 cm x 128 cm. We can make some modifications to this pattern to fit you. Most – but not all – of my students like a longer top. This can be achieved with either wider cloth, longer cloth, additional cloth from another warp, or any combination of the above.
- Cloth for the Marguerite Cardigan – Suggested dimensions: 45 cm x 271 cm
Saturday 2/29 – SAORI Sewing – Part 2:
(11 AM – 6 PM)
- Increased familiarity with SAORI sewing books & patterns
- Turning a narrow hem
- Continued garment construction
- V-neck top – Pattern #3 in the Intermediate Clothing Design book
- Vest from the Blue Sewing book (I don’t have the number off the top of my head)
- V-neck top suggested cloth: 28 cm x 208 cm
- Vest suggested cloth: 35 cm x 225 (personally I like this vest a little longer, so I use cloth a little wider or add an extra panel. I also like a little more around me. So, a little wider, a little (or a lot) longer, we’ll create a vest just for you.
Sunday 3/1 – SAORI Sewing – Part 3:
(11 AM – 6 PM)
- Skirt #9 in the Intermediate Clothing Design book
- If we have time, we will also make a bias skirt. The Bias book is not yet printed!
- Skirt #9 : 45 cm wide x 438 cm long (I made this from cloth from 2 different warps with the same weft, and it is super cute)
- On the Bias – prior to class, I will send you an Excel file to determine your cloth requirements
A Note About Your Cloth:
If you’re unsure how much to bring, it is better to have too much cloth than to not have enough! All cloth needs to be laundered prior to arrival. See page 88 of the Purple Book.
Other Things to Bring:
If you need to use a studio sewing machine, please reserve it on the registration form. However, if it is possible to bring your own machine, that is preferable. Please be sure to also bring:
- Your Purple book, and any/all SAORI sewing books that you have
- Your sewing machine’s manual
- All parts, presser feet, etc.
- Extra bobbins
- Extra needles — in a variety of sizes
- Thread — suggested black and grey and any colors that you think you might need
This is a sewing intensive. As such, there is no weaving during the weekend.
Life happens. Unless otherwise stated, for most workshops and classes, if you need to cancel your registration you will receive:
- From the date of registration through 1 month prior to the workshop you will receive 90% of your registration fee returned.
- From 1 month prior to 1 week prior to the workshop you will receive 50% of your registration fee returned.
- There is no refund for cancelling in the week prior to the workshop.
Please note that bigger events (such as Kai and Super Kai retreats) may have a different cancellation schedule. If you need to cancel a registration, please contact us.